19 Jan Join the KAC Summer Team!
ALWAYS ON THE LOOK-OUT FOR SUMMER BICYCLE MECHANICS & SEA KAYAK GUIDES/INSTRUCTORS
*Featured by USA Today as a Summer Job That Could Change Your Life!*
Join Keweenaw Adventure Company’s (KAC) summer team! Established in 1994, KAC lives up to its reputation as the area’s experts for all things human-powered and is a leader in Responsible/Sustainable Tourism. KAC is a guide and outfitter specializing in Lake Superior sea kayaking and Copper Harbor mountain biking. We’re a small company with a staff of about a dozen people who often become more of a working family than just colleagues.
With over two and a half decades of experience and an excellent safety record, KAC provides state-of-the-art rental equipment and exceptional customer service. We are located at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan’s northern-most resort community, Copper Harbor. Surrounded by Lake Superior, this narrow finger of land extends into the world’s largest fresh-water sea for nearly 70 miles. The BIG Lake is the great regulator, keeping summer temperatures cool and pleasant (average high temps in the mid-70’s) and winters warmer near the shore.
Our mission is to be the hub for human-powered recreation in Keweenaw County by providing essential goods and services that connect people with awe and respect to the Keweenaw Peninsula – ultimately contributing to the region’s well-being through education, stewardship, conservation and sustainable tourism.
Read more about KAC’s Mission & History!
Read about Copper Harbor Media Highlights!
Also, read more on being part of the “KAC PACK!”
“Friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable, accommodating, awesome!”
“Gateway to exploration. I’ve learned something about the Harbor each time I’ve rode with Sam.”
“Yooper-tastic!, Bodacious, Bombastic, The Original Thriller, Bitchin!, I could do this all day! Thanks for some awesome trails and being such an advocate for the outdoors!”
KAC is seeking experienced, full-time Bicycle Mechanics /Shop Representatives & Sea Kayak Guides/Instructors and for this coming season. We are open to applicants with an expertise for either one or BOTH of these positions.
SUMMARY OF BICYCLE MECHANIC/SHOP REPRESENTATIVE Requirements:
* Prior shop/retail experience – great customer service relations
* Sound mechanical skills –ability to repair customer bikes and maintain our rental livery
* Experience working on forks, shocks and hydraulic disc brakes
* Legendary Customer Service Skills (job requires customer interaction; answering questions & the phone, Point of Sales transactions and taking reservations)
* Sizing customers on rental bikes and completing the process
* Friendly and personable
* Valid driver’s license and insurable as a company driver (shuttle van)
* To be professional and organized, yet not take one’s self too seriously
* While not required, could be an additional opportunity to guide some mountain bike tours…please inquire for details if interested
SUMMARY OF SEA KAYAK GUIDE/INSTRUCTOR Requirements:
* ACA Certified and/or Outdoor Leadership/Education
* Prior kayak guiding experience, preferable, but could work to intricate the right candidate
* Current minimum certification at least of the Wilderness First Aid (WFA) level
* Personable/ excellent people skills
* Enthusiasm for paddling and nature and ability to share it
* Sound decision making/ risk management skills
* Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
* To be professional, yet not take one’s self too seriously
Wage & Benefits:
KAC offers competitive wages with pay Depending-On-Experience (plus Sea Kayak Guides may also earn gratuity – mechanics are sometimes tipped with micro-brews). Staff are allowed to use company kayaks for their personal use, depending on availability. The KAC team additionally has the privilege of Employee Purchase discounts (at wholesale cost or less) on gear and equipment with suppliers we’re affiliated with, along with handful of other employees “perks.” Last but not least, locals acknowledge that we are rich in our quality of life, as the great-outdoors is literally right out our front door!
We do have limited seasonal staff housing with affordable rent, which is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sorry, no pets!
How to Apply?:
If you’ve read the FULL JOB DESCRIPTION & QUALIFICATIONS thoroughly, and are interested in the possibility of joining the KAC team, you may fill out an APPLICATION here and email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, letting us know of your intent.
If you are an eligible candidate for the position(s) we will be in touch with you to schedule an interview.