Fundamental Water Safety Course
This three-hour course teaches the basics of kayak safety and efficiency and will help to develop your personal kayaking skills. Whether you are a beginner with a desire to learn, or an experienced paddler wanting to refresh some techniques for the season, this course will help you get to the next level and bring awareness to Being Prepared – Lake Superior Kayaking.
Participants must be 16 years or older to take this lesson and/or rent kayaks from us.
This ‘hands on’ course is taught by one of our professional American Canoe Association trained instructors and entails:
- Orientation to kayak nomenclature and equipment, including establishing a good “boat fit”
- Teaching of primary skills, including the “J-lean” & “hip snap” development
- Introduction to various paddle strokes including propulsion, maneuvering, and recovery strokes
- Practicing of “the wet exit”, ” “T-rescue” & “paddle float re-entry ” rescues
- Highlighting of safety considerations and preparations for paddling on Lake Superior, including hypothermia, wind & waves, shoreline dynamics and their effect on paddlers, interpreting marine forecasts and signaling.